Hello new UVA students! Are you eager to start learning your way around the University? Do you already have questions? The Resource Playlists are a new way to help you figure things out. These short videos will introduce you to lots of offices, programs, and resources from around the University. You’ll learn about opportunities to conduct research, how to make an appointment with student health, and about where to turn for help with questions and challenges. Please watch the Playlists before you come to Summer Orientation, so that you’ll be ready to ask any follow-up questions. You’ll have access to the program throughout your time as at student here, though, so you can return whenever you need to remind yourself of something.
🔔 This is a new program. Here are the dates it will be available for incoming students, by school:
- College of Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, and Nursing: Available for all students now on Collab (see more information below to get started).
- Curry (kinesiology): Available on Canvas (see below for information on how to get started).
- McIntire (transfer students): Available in July on Blackboard with the rest of your on-boarding materials.
To get started:
- Log in! You can use a smartphone or a computer. Note that the program will become available at varying points this summer for students entering different schools (see dates above).
- Once you log in, you’ll see a button for the Resource Playlists. (On Collab, click on “My Sites” in the upper right corner if you don’t see it right away.)
- Click on the link for the Resource Playlists, to start watching! There are additional instructions on the page.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Collab and Canvas, and how do I log in?
Collab and Canvas are websites that classes and groups can use to share information. Many of your instructors will use it to post assignments, readings, and grades. Some students have previously used Blackboard, Canvas, or Moodle in high school or at another college. Collab is a similar program. For the Resource Playlists, you’ll use Canvas if you’re starting at Curry, and Collab if you’re starting in any other school.
To log in to these sites, you first need to set up your email account and user ID. (Your user ID looks something like abc3z.) The next step is just to log in. Use your UVA user ID and password.
- Curry students: Click here to log in to Canvas.
- McIntire transfer students: follow instructions for Blackboard for the rest of your on-boarding materials.
- Everybody else (most students): Click here to log in to Collab.
When should I watch the Resource Playlists?
If you go through the videos before attending Summer Orientation, then you’ll be able to ask follow-up questions when you’re here on grounds. If you don’t have time early in the summer, then please watch them before you arrive for classes in August. Again, you’ll still have access to the playlists after you start, so you can return to them later in the year if you need to remind yourself of something.
If you have additional questions, please contact the program’s coordinator, Katie Densberger, at email@example.com