Supplemental Instruction (SI)
This is a new program for Fall 2020! Supplemental Instruction (SI) is made up of regular, structured, large-group study sessions. These sessions are led by undergraduate Supplemental Instruction Leaders. The SI Leaders have taken the course previously and have been trained in leading study group sessions.
This fall, SI is only being offered for these classes (all sections):
- PSYC1010 (Introductory Psychology)
- APMA1110 (Engineering Calculus II)
- MATH1220 (A Survey of Calculus II)
👉Join us! Sign up at this link!
(You don’t have to register, exactly– the form at that link is just a means for the coordinator to get your email and know what class you’re in. Email email@example.com if you have any trouble with the form.)
Schedule and Zoom Links
🔐 Email firstname.lastname@example.org for Zoom password, 🔑 including which session you’re attempting to join (or see email from 9/17 or 9/18 from Katie Densberger)
- Sundays at 2pm with Timothy: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95722405671?pwd=TWhubjhWM2E2eTlDTThBd3hNWUhHQT09
- Sundays at 6pm with Emma: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/99974518122?pwd=NWNOa0VyRTQ2QjcxNlVqNUhZeFFDQT09
- Mondays at 3pm with Emma: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/99064180979?pwd=TUdTdER3R05DUlJvTDkwNWlVMHNMQT09
- Wednesdays at 7pm with TImothy: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/9331212221?pwd=WHlPL0VhTFlldHUzOGZmVFJ4RDAzdz09
- Sundays at 4pm with Lauren C.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/96220577549?pwd=VWZDeFBFSGIzQzF6eW92SUVDNFpGdz09
- Sundays at 7pm with Madison M.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/99917443294?pwd=dlA3SXBjYzdGODc4bzR2Nk82dGFVdz09
- Mondays at 7pm with Madison M.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/97412159780?pwd=QU91dWFQUjRoTHptWG5MSGk4ajdHZz09
- Tuesdays at 6pm (changed from 4pm) with Anna B.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/92570290071?pwd=ZnE1QzN5Snd1ekY4WEhucGRZc2pDQT09
- Tuesdays at 5pm with Anna B.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95734769852?pwd=WXpxWEFrUTFkOGxSTWVNWEYwa3F5UT09
- Wednesdays at 8pm with Lauren C.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/99078183564?pwd=UnV1YlJuT3kydzdnNno3VEh0aGZCdz09
- Sunday at 1pm with Marianne: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95470108609?pwd=M1hJQlhXNGJORlNBb3NXVHpZY0Yrdz09
- Sunday at 7pm with Anna S.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95473539126?pwd=WGRHZUpERnZONXZzVHZqWE1sa2hDdz09
- Monday at 7pm with Anna S.: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95473539126?pwd=WGRHZUpERnZONXZzVHZqWE1sa2hDdz09
- Tuesday at 5pm with Marianne: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95470108609?pwd=M1hJQlhXNGJORlNBb3NXVHpZY0Yrdz09
How often should I go to SI?
You should attend regularly, ideally every week. Attendance is voluntary, but SI is meant to help reinforce material and give you extra time for practice. You will get a lot more out of the program if you go every week rather than just before exams. The sessions just-prior to exams will not necessarily be review sessions of everything on the exam, so you can’t rely on those sessions as a time to get caught up on everything. You’ll have to put in the work in advance. Each SI Leader will offer 2 sessions per week, covering similar material, so you only need to go once per week to participate fully. (Large classes might have more than one SI Leader, so your class might have more than 2 sessions each week.)
How will the Zoom sessions work?
The SI Leader will either use passwords or the waiting room function to admit students. (This is a new program in an unusual semester, so there are some specifics that we’ll figure out as we get started.) The sessions will require participants to actively participate and may utilize functions such as break-out rooms. If you anticipate having trouble with internet access this semester, please write to email@example.com (that’s Katie Densberger, the program’s coordinator) and we’ll work to support you.
Will SI just cover the same material as class?
No, not quite. Your instructor and SI Leader will work together to plan the material that will be covered in SI sessions, but it won’t cover everything that’s covered in class. It will be time to review or practice more focused and specific aspects of course material. SI is not a substitute for class attendance.
Can I still attend if I didn’t sign up at the beginning of the semester?
Yes, you can. It would really be helpful to us, though, if anyone who thinks they’d like to attend would fill out the form early in the semester.
Do I have to attend if I signed up at the beginning of the semester?
No. Participation in SI is voluntary, though we believe it will be valuable.
I would like to participate, but I need assistance or accommodations to do so. What should I do?
We are happy to help all of our students participate in SI, so please write to Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org and get in touch with SDAC. Depending upon what kind of assistance you need, we might need about a week’s notice to pull those resources together.
Who can I ask for more information about the program?
SI is being managed centrally by the program’s coordinator, Katie Densberger. Email Katie at email@example.com if you have any questions. Course faculty may be able to answer some questions specific to your class, but Katie is training and managing the SI Leaders, keeping track of the schedules, and working with the Zoom links.
SI has been in use at lots of universities (UT-Austin, U Michigan, and others) for many years. You can learn more about its history from the International Center for Supplemental Instruction at UM-KC.